Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Right Person?

I haven't followed much the debate surrounding President Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court. I know I should care more about this, but quite frankly I can only keep so many issues at the forefront of my attention, and this one isn't the most pressing at the moment. I've seen many positive comments about her and not a few negative ones. This quotation, however, certainly gives room for thought. I'm all for valuing the experience a woman can bring to anything, but to argue that a woman's experience or wisdom is better than that of a man simply because she's a woman, or because she's a latina is patently false, not to mention sexist and arrogant. The Palm Tree Pundit has nicely shown how appaling this argument would be if made of almost any other contrast. But in the modern world one doesn't have to be logical or balanced, as long as one chooses to denigrate the right opponent.

No comments:

Post a Comment